RB

Default clogged oil tank whistle

Usually the whistle is located in the vent pipe just above the tank. As
the tank is filled the oil level rises and air is forced out of the vent
pipe past the whistle. When the oil begins to rise into the vent pipe
it submerges the whistle and the whistle stops making a sound. My guess
is that insects aren't the problem since the vent cover has a screen in
it. Since the tank is only a year old I'd get the fellow who installed
it back out. Removing the vent line can be a major production but
that's the way to the whistle. Do you have an unused opening in the top
of you tank that would accept a level sensor?

RB

Steve wrote:
Hi there,

Does anyone have any sort of miracle solution to unplug a clogged up oil
tank whistle? Mine is plugged up by what I'm assuming is flies and ladybugs
(We got plenty of those this year). Air still comes out of the vent pipe
when the tank is being filled so is must be going around the whistle.

The last time the oil delivery guy was here, the tank was empty so he
had no problem filling it by watching the meter after confirming there were
no leaks (since it's a 1 year old tank). He indicated it was a one-time
deal however and that I need to get that whistle working again.

From what I can see to get the whistle out of the tank involves
dismantling the entire vent pipe. The vent pipe has about 3 joints that
would all have to be undone and involves going underneath a very shallow
(18" in some spots) deck to take it all apart. The tank installer cursed
the entire time he was under there. Now there is -20C freezing temperatures
and snow to contend with so I doubt I'd get anyone to go under until spring
time.

Is there some way to clear the blockage without pulling the whistle?
There are 3 elbows between the top of the vent and the tank.

-- Steve