Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What options exist for getting duplicate automobile remotes?

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 01:19:13 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 3 Aug 2018 16:00:03 GMT, micky wrote:

Thanks for this input, where I've been concentrating on the oxygen sensor

I havent' seen that thread, but I may have problems with my o2 sensor
also. I forget the codes I have but they both point to the o2 sensor.

This is the thread...
Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/mIcLF2bSnU8

Yet I get 30MPH on he highway and 26 in town, and it doesnt' overheat,
so I'm thinking there is no big rush to fix it. It does stumble a bit
when I'm stopped and start up again, unless I"m perfect with the gas
pedal.

AFAIK, oxygen sensors generally get replaced when they fail, and that
usually precipitates one of two clues:
a. You get a related oxygen sensor code, or,
b. You can't set a related readiness monitor.

Usually, AFAIK, it's the upstream sensor.
You can test them, but, you can't really test them (it's one of those
things you just replace).

For the key and the fob, online they will sell to anyone. It's sort of
like guns. But you need to have one or 2 fobs to make anotehr and 1 or
2 keys to make another key. I forget which it is but it's 1 for one and
2 for the other. Whatever Clare said.

Yeah. What Clare said was
a. Gather all the fobs you can (in this case, that's one).
b. Program the handful you have
c. That negates the ones you don't have

Who knew it was that easy.
Now all I have to do is buy the fobs.

My first concern, since the trunk doesn't open with the key, is to buy the
fob that has a trunk button on it, if that will work and try it out.

I wonder if fobs can be programmed more than once?

The fob is NOT BEING PROGRAMMED. You can actually add the same fob
to more than one car .At the same time. You are programming the CAR to
the fob, not the other way around. Each fob has a unique identifier
code, and each make and model of car can use a specific range of
codes. Programming adds the identifier of the fob into the list of
acceptable codes (if it falls into the range for that vehicle) in the
car's body control module (computer)