Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default unusual threading die adjustment

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 21:42:16 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 08:47:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:35:42 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Yes, I see the wisdom in that. Thanks for the Grinders 101. I've
obviously never used one.

When I started in industry I quickly found that I couldn't
reasonably
design a part to perform a task without knowing something of how to
make it, though not every newly minted engineer felt that way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_engineering
"Traditional engineering is also known as over the wall engineering
as
each stage blindly throws the development to the next stage over the
wall."

I love that def. Isn't the vast majority of engineers that way?

http://www.workplaceinsanity.com/201...ally-want.html

I've heard that specifically about the auto industry, but the
engineers I dealt with there were new hires brought in as vehicular
electronics mushroomed. That business is secretive and no one talked
shop. At Segway engineering was very hands-on and aware of production
concerns. Other places varied among the individuals.

Yeah, Segway was probably abruptly different from most settings for
engineers. My new neighbor was an engineer at Boeing in TX. A white
collar engineer/manager, which I found hard to wrap my head around.
I'm pretty sure he was a computer/paper/meeting engineer, a different
strip than most I've met.

Most teachers are instructors rather than educators in the same
light.

The teachers I had in various night schools were "night and day"
different from the ones in college, since they worked at a real job
for a living. In Mitre-subsidized night school I aced the Differential
Equations course I had barely passed in college, because he explained
it for people who use math as a tool rather than worship it as a gift
from Vishnu.

VBG.

In Analytical Geometry all the problems used 30, 45 or 60
degree triangles so the answers included the square roots of 2 or 3,
we just had to know where. We learned to do trig and logarithms in our
heads without a calculator. Problems at work such as decibel gain or
loss and phase shift modulation merely had different numbers in the
familiar places.

Cool.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French