Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What options exist for getting duplicate automobile remotes?

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 08:42:12 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 3 Aug 2018 00:57:29 GMT, micky wrote:

You don't have to spend anywhere near this for most cars. I
programmed fobs for Chrysler and Toyota last summer, and each fob was
about $10. Insturctions are online for free.

You don't need a number off the back. Go to an ebay page (or maybe it
was Amazon) and find someone who sells fobs and put in the year, make,
adn model of the car and it will tell you if he has the fob to fit it.

I got keys the same way, for even less money.

And it's not just those two makes. Just about all of them

Thanks for this input, where I've been concentrating on the oxygen sensor
thread (for obvious reasons of triage) but where this information is
useful.

One question.

How do they prevent theft?

That is, what proof do you normally give them that it's YOUR car?

NOTE: I'm not trying to steal a car ... I'm just trying to understand the
process.

You need the car unlocked and the key in the ignition to program the
remotes - which doNOT unlock the steering column or allow you to drive
the car without the (usually chipped) key. The remote doesn't care who
owns the car - or even who has the remote.