Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - VOIP

"Theo" wrote in message
Steve Walker wrote:
Yes, because it has been a requirement for phones to still work when the
mains power fails. Which is the whole point of what I have been saying
from the start! The exchange has large batteries and an auto-start
generator to maintain the system - fibre cannot power the phone in
someone's house!

That's true. OTOH there are people who don't have a POTS phone in their
house, because they all use their mobiles. Or their phone is DECT which
doesn't work when there's a power outage. Plus landlines might not work
when there's a flood or storm, if wires are down or saturated.

So there might be a case that we should provide the emergency link by
mobile, which also has the advantage that it can be useful in situations
like when you're trapped on the roof of your house by rising flood waters.

That would mean base stations with backup power supplies, but also giving
subscribers some kind of backup charging for their mobile whose battery
will
likely only last a day.

Not necessary, they can charge it in their car even if the car is stuck in
the garage or drive.

It also means retaining landline backup
for those who can't get a mobile signal.

Makes more sense to add another base in area which can get snowed in like
that.

I wonder whether supplying every household with a power
bank in your router, which keeps the landline alive but also
charges mobiles, might not be infeasible?

Our FTTP modems do in fact have a backup battery
that allows the voip phone that is plugged into
that to keep running during a mains failure.

And like I said, no need for it to charge the mobile,
they can use their car for that or if they don’t have
a car, any of the readily available power banks will
do that fine. No point in having that in the modem.