Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 1:40:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:42:56 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I can do the same with 3 phase, run it into
the house. I'd see one sine wave at 0 deg, one at 120 deg, one at 240 deg,
correct? Rotate the 120 deg coil to 180, what do you see now? It's
a sine wave at 180, correct? Are there still 3 phases there or did
one just disappear? Now remove the 240 phase conductor. Three minus
one is TWO. And what you have left is exactly identical to 240/120
service. Two hots, 180 deg out of phase with each other.

If you connect them together and they are in phase now, you just
created a single phase.

No idea what you're talking about. If you connect two conductors that
are the same voltage and the same phase angle, you've paralleled them,
that's all. There is no potential difference between the two.

And again, why is it that you can't answer those simple questions,
one step at a time? Never mind, I know why.

In a series circuit (source) that actually works, you always connect
the positive to the negative and you create a single source.
Take the 9v batteries you were talking about earlier. You said it was
2 sources when I snapped two together in series. Thanks for confirming
what I said because to use your theory, there are actually 12 sources
now because you need 6 cells to get 9v.

There would be all those additional sources IF YOU PROVIDED A TAP TO
THEM AS PART OF YOUR CIRCUIT. Then you'd have to treat them as separate
voltage sources.

You just can't easily get to
the 6 in the can. It does not change the fact that once they are all
in series you have to treat them as one source, whether you can
measure each cell or not.

It doesn't change the fact that when you tap between batteries or tap
at each cell individually, you now have created separate voltage sources
and that is exactly how they must be treated.
If you haven't, then explain for me the circuit model for 240/120
that doesn't use two 120V voltage sources? I've asked that 6 times
now at least. And in your break into the battery at the cell level, similarly
if those taps inside the battery are connected to power the circuit,
then you have multiple additional separate voltage sources and they
have to be treated that way.

Here are two 3 cell batteries and what you have if you tap and use
all possible points:

________+
C1
________
C2
________
C3
________

2C1
_______
2C2
_______
2C3
_______ -

You have 6 separate voltage sources and there is no other way to draw
that circuit assuming you use all 6 in the circuit and if you're not
then there is obviously no point to tapping them. In the transformer
case, by center tapping it, you've created two 120V voltage sources that
are 180 out of phase or of opposite polarity, same thing.