Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 09:52:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 12:40:21 PM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:
On 8/2/2018 5:45 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 5:49:48 PM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:
On 8/1/2018 6:43 PM, wrote:

Your problem is you can't step back and look at this as a system. You
are locked up inside the panelboard enclosure with tunnel vision
focused on the main bonding jumper like that is the center of the
universe.
If you look at the stars from earth, it is easy to think they revolve
around the earth.

Trader's source says:
"Distribution engineers have treated the standard "singlephase"
distribution transformer connection as single phase because from the
primary side of the transformer these connections are single phase and
in the case of standard rural distribution single phase line to ground."
[I am not "rural" and my distribution is "single phase line to ground".]

Trader's source says that standard practice is that 240/120V systems are
single phase.

Nice hack job Bud. What he said was:

I quoted _exactly_ what he said.
Distribution engineers consider 240/120 to be single phase.

Trader's source suggests they should be 2 phases. There is no reason to
believe anyone but trader agrees.

He says they have been "treated" as single phase, but that what is actually
there are TWO PHASES.

In his opinion.

None of the many people I have met that have worked on 3-phase systems
would call 240/120V systems 2 phases.

I'm not arguing what it's commonly called. Like the engineerig prof,
I'm telling you what's really there from an electrical engineering perspective.

In your opinion.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a fact to anyone that's passed
circuits 101. That's why I can apply circuits 101 and answer all those
questions and you and Fretwell can't.

You can't even satisfy Kirchoffs law.
You must have flunked circuits 101.

Someone asks why they can't randomly parallel any two receptacles in a house.
My answer is, because you have two 120V voltage sources that are 180 deg
out of phase with each other or of alternate polarity if you like.
If they were of the same phase or polarity, you could parallel them.
Your answer?

I answered that already You are connecting L1 directly to L2 and the
center tap is not even involved at that time but thanks for showing us
it is ONE SOURCE.