Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hosepipe bans...

On 03/08/18 13:11, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 12:29:45 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 02/08/18 11:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that it reduces the amount of water
in the sewage system. The ban really only affects water use that
wouldn't enter the sewage system under normal conditions.

But, of course, we are paying for it. I am using over 1000l twice a week
to water anything planted less than two years ago, and anything affected
by a couple of 60 ft trees. I don't mind paying for the water I use
(£1.31/ m^3), but I am very annoyed about lining the pockets of the
water company by paying for wastewater treatment (£2.27/m^3) where none
is involved.

What about those times when you add water to the system for them to
have to treat (when it rains) that you didn't buy off them?

That's surface water, which doesn't need treatment. But, of course,
anything bottled which is poured down the sink, bog cleaners, etc, does
need treatment and wasn't provided by the water company. I have always
assumed that this was taken into account by them when they came up with
the strange figure (IIRC) that 92.5% of water supplied via the mains
finds its way to the sewage works.

Had your house not been there it would have just gone into the ground?
;-)

snip

Cheers, T i m

--