Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Latest Project On My Own Home

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:48:55 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

A Korean friend saw my cedar table top, sitting idle since it was
built.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
She asked me to make it into a tea table, 14" high, so I've made short legs. I might will install the legs today, if I can finish the prep work. Maybe I'll
have some presentable pics by this evening.

Sonny

That's a gorgeous top. What finish did you use?

ER cedar is resinous. Often times, especially around knots and denser wood, the resin leaches/oozes out, little by little, over time. To help prevent this leaching, shellac is used as a blocker, similarly as Kiltz or other shellac primers are used. I think I used shellac as a first coating, then sprayed top coats of lacquer.

The resin, in ER cedar, moves/flows, somewhat like mercury in a thermometer, when temps fluctuate. The short legs are (somewhat) carved from cedar stump/log stock, some wood denseness varies within each leg. They have been in the house for a few days, acclimating to AC, so hopefully, the resin movement will be better/more limited, in/for their long term use.

Sonny