Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hosepipe bans...

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 13:53:00 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
If hosepipe bans really *did* outlaw you using water from the tap, after
being used for bath, for watering garden via a hosepipe, than there would
be
the problem of how else do you water a garden?

You don't? After all, if there is the hint of a ban why would you use
what is likely to be a valuable a rationed commodity on keeping plants
alive over humans (a slight exception would be your vegetable patch
possibly). 'Every little helps' etc?

Assuming that you still use a conventional amount of water for baths. If
things get really bad (stand pipes etc) then I agree that is the time to
have a shower more often and a bath less often.

I rarely have a bath as I prefer not to wallow in my own dirt. ;-(

And what's wrong with a 'strip wash', just one basin of water used
there?

If you collect rainwater, you
need to make sure the water butts are higher than the ground to be watered
or have a pump.

Mum has a pump in hers that will push water though two long hoses to
her front garden. ;-)

Oh, very posh and far-sighted.

Well, I arranged it because I didn't like the idea of Mum wandering up
and down with a watering can ... that said, I don't think she uses
the pump / hose that often because 1) She's probably forgotten it's
there, 2) forgotten how to use it or 3) therefore prefers to wander up
and down with a watering can ... ;-(

Most of use have to make do with a watering
can and a bit of flexible hose from the water butt because the butt has been
set up too low to get a watering can under the tap :-)

We had 3 slimline water butts coupled together at the outlet taps and
to a length of hose with an inline tap to be able to fill watering
cans etc. Being as we gave up the garden as a garden we took them down
and replaced the rainwater converter with a straight coupler etc. One
is currently out the front and waiting for me to hook it up to next
doors downpipe, as our daughter has now taken over looking after their
garden. ;-)

In contrast, bathrooms are usually upstairs and so it's easy
to siphon water from there onto the garden outside.

Well, I'm not sure most would consider the process 'easy', even if
they knew how in the first place etc. I think these days some with get
Ocardo to deliver bottled water [1] and get 'a little man' to water
their garden with that instead. ;-)

At my first house, I got into the habit of taking the hose pipe upstairs,
chucking the end out of the window, filling the pipe from the tap and then
putting it into the bathwater. Not because water was in short supply, but
just because it seemed a shame to let the water go to waste down the drain
instead of using it.

Quite, especially if you are on a water meter. Although, if you are
charged for your waste water, some might want to get their moneys
worth by making them treat it again. ;-)

It seems absurd that 4-for-£1 lager is cheaper than bottled water.

Quite.

Bottled
water is nearly as much of a rip off, per unit volume, as inkjet ink.

Nearly the price of petrol!

Especially as the purists say that you should never refill a bottled-water
bottle from the tap,

Why not?

so the bottles are single-use.

Quite, however, they aren't all created equal with some feeling more
like stiff plastic bags rather than bottles as such (presumably for
still water only)?

Not that we abide by
that. Wash the screw neck and the cap and refill the bottle -

Yup. If we ever buy bottled water we generally buy it for the bottle
(flip top, reasonable size etc).

you can get
many usages out of the bottle before the plastic starts to crack.

Agreed.

The only
time we buy bottled water is if we are out for a walk and have forgotten to
take a bottle of tapwater from home.

Same here ... or if we have brought our own but not in a cooler and
really fancy a cold one (and another bottle).

I've just bought some watering spikes that screw onto certain drinks
bottles and then slowly water you plant. They only came this morning
but I'll try them soon.

I'm not sure how well they might work as a big funnel (with a pinhole
in the spike) or if they will rely on the container being a bottle
(therefore sealed) to restrict the flow?

Cheers, T i m