Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_] Paul in Houston TX[_2_] is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

Arlen Holder wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:22:58 GMT, Terry Coombs wrote:

Are you sure Clare ? In the second photo of his original post those
sure look like weld beads on the sides of the runner tubes . Maybe a
formed plate/sheet metal unit ? I hadn't looked at the photos ... I do
see that there is a crush washer to seal , so the helicoil kit he asked
about will work . I prefer the solid insert anyway .

What should I take a picture of to help you identify if it's steel or cast?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9421150o2sensor13.jpg

Here is the part at Mitsubishi (where the cat is integral with it):
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/auto-parts/2004/mitsubishi/lancer/es-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine/exhaust-system-cat/exhaust-manifold-scat

It's the 2004 Lancer ES 2.0L engine where Autozone has these brands:
Walker
https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/exhaust-manifold/walker-exhaust-manifold/461307_452518_0
Dorman
https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/exhaust-manifold/dorman-exhaust-manifold/108344_540298_0
MagnaFlow
https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/exhaust-manifold/magnaflow-exhaust-manifold/513806_943921_25137
https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/exhaust-manifold/magnaflow-exhaust-manifold/435623_943944_25137

Carid has "Eco Carb":
https://www.carid.com/2004-mitsubish...er=1&sub-model[Liter][]=2.0L

Can you tell from those what it's made out of?
If you need a better picture, I'd be glad to snap it for you.

Cast iron went away for most cars a long time ago due to weight savings
needed to comply with gov't mandated fuel mileage requirements.
Take a look at the top pic on the carid.com url. That manifold is cast iron.
Notice how there are no welds. The pipe and the flange is one molded piece.