Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 20:22:58 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/2/2018 7:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 18:35:22 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/2/2018 9:06 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/02/2018 12:18 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Napa seems to sell a thread chaser for spark plugs, if it's the same
thread
as spark plugs...
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER730
Might work if the threads just need to be cleaned up. There are quite
a few kits for stripped out oil drain plugs. The problem is the cheap
ones are just a slightly oversized tap with a selection of oversized
plugs. The kits that are more like helicoils are expensive.

This bung might be able to be welded on by a shop if the threads are
right:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...plug-kit-3735/

If the manifold is cast iron, welding can be tricky. Brazing may be
better. A good shop will know the best approach.

* If it's new enough to have O2 sensors , chances are pretty good the
manifold is steel tube .

It's not. Look at the pictures. It's high nickel cast.

* Are you sure Clare ? In the second photo of his original post those
sure look like weld beads on the sides of the runner tubes . Maybe a
formed plate/sheet metal unit ? I hadn't looked at the photos ... I do
see that there is a crush washer to seal , so the helicoil kit he asked
about will work . I prefer the solid insert anyway .

I can't get back to the pictures - but you might be right. I was
looking more at the hole and threads. Those integrated cat manifolds
are NASTY things. On the Civic VX they were cast with the converter
induction welded to the casting. On my 3 liter durateck it's all
fabricated.