Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaustmanifold

On 8/2/2018 7:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 18:35:22 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/2/2018 9:06 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/02/2018 12:18 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Napa seems to sell a thread chaser for spark plugs, if it's the same
thread
as spark plugs...
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER730
Might work if the threads just need to be cleaned up. There are quite
a few kits for stripped out oil drain plugs. The problem is the cheap
ones are just a slightly oversized tap with a selection of oversized
plugs. The kits that are more like helicoils are expensive.

This bung might be able to be welded on by a shop if the threads are
right:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...plug-kit-3735/

If the manifold is cast iron, welding can be tricky. Brazing may be
better. A good shop will know the best approach.

Â* If it's new enough to have O2 sensors , chances are pretty good the
manifold is steel tube .

It's not. Look at the pictures. It's high nickel cast.

Â* Are you sure Clare ? In the second photo of his original post those
sure look like weld beads on the sides of the runner tubes . Maybe a
formed plate/sheet metal unit ? I hadn't looked at the photos ... I do
see that there is a crush washer to seal , so the helicoil kit he asked
about will work . I prefer the solid insert anyway .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old