Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Latest Project On My Own Home

There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful evening and
watching the wildlife, having a couple beers, listening to some yacht
rock, or just watching a summer rain storm as you sit in its breeze.
But I could really do without the mosquitoes. :-)

This is a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while and I
finally set aside some time to do it. It will have full screens from
bottom to top and a really cool window system called Magic Wall by
Solara, a company from Florida that started out making hurricane panels.

They don't have a lot of pictures, but I saw their system at the
Nashville builders convention and it's really cool. Basically, you have
these glass panels on tracks that slide open and closed. You can have 4
panels, that will slide into one. In my case, the patio is 13'x16', so
on 2 sides, I will have four 4' panels that slide over to 4', leaving
12' of full screen. On the end, there will be four panels that slide
over to 3', leaving 9' of full screen.

I decided to do the rafter framing in cedar and have solid, T&G roof
decking to be exposed from the underneath. The tie-in to the existing
roof with be plain old pine lumber, since it won't be seen.

Here's the progress so far, with all the cedar framing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHLDkWJwdvgXBYS26
I have to say this cedar is a joy to work with. Besides the smell, it
cuts wonderfully, is super light weight, and doesn't warp nearly as much
as SYP. Then there's the looks. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)