Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 14:55:20 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 2 Aug 2018 07:10:52 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

You have it out, measure the pitch.

From research since yesterday, all oxygen sensors seem to be M18x1.5 so I'm
clear on that.

The helicoil is probably the easiest solution and I am generally a fan of
the things.

Thanks. I think my current plan is:
a. Pick up a thread chaser & try that

Defionietly the first step - and extremely likely to work
b. If that can'd be found, consider a junkyard exhaust manifold

Likely lots of Mitso-****ty manifolds in ther scrap heap - but
possibly with the same problem -----
c. If that fails, consider a new one

Throwing cubic dollars at the problem???
d. If that's too pricey, consider a helicoil kit (but they're pricey too)

Not if you get someone who has the tools do the job for you. Less
than $50, almost guaranteed
e. Maybe even consider drilling and then inserting a threaded bung

Basically a "timesert" - More expensive tooling

They tried to remove a stuck oxygen sensor cold, maybe without even using
a proper penetrating oil, and they just put force on it until it deformed
and eventually tore itself out.

Jesus. Who would do that. I have never stripped a thread coming out!
(I've stripped threads going in, but never coming out.)

You haven't removed many O2 sensors - - -
Or Ford Triton spark plugs - - - - - - - - - -

Are you absolutely sure it's the problem also?

With no good ground through the repair paste, good chance the sensor
would not work - and at this point there is NO OPTION - the sensor is
FUBAR

It is now.