Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller magnastat soldering iron problem

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 04:22:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If I can find some melamine sponge, it should work without water:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8109430
Same with a brass or stainless scrubber.

Melamine, when exposed to heat, breaks down into its original
components. They a cyanamide & formaldehyde. The one is a
respiratory irritant and suspected carcinogen, the other
highly toxic and a definite carcinogen. Magic Erasers are
largely made of Melamine, you might consider slicing one of
those for the purposes. But, DO remember what happens to
them when heated.

Good point. The patent mumbled something about it being safe because
the soldering iron is at a lower temperature than the breakdown
temperature for melamine (345 °C or 653 °F)[1].

Solder melts at various temperatures depending on composition.
Pb63/Sn37 melts at about 188 °C while the unleaded crap melts at about
220 °C. The soldering iron tip run somewhat hotter than this,
probably at 250 °C and 280 °C respectively. I'm not sure what my
Weller irons are running for a tip temperature, but I'll check. I
have a Hakko FG-100 buried somewhere.

Anyway, there seems to be a sufficient margin between the tip
temperature and where melamine breaks down.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D