Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Weller magnastat soldering iron problem

One day a few years ago when I was waiting for parts for my last working Weller station and using my road kit soldering iron, I ordered two of these on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Pencil-...AOSwcVZbUAz f

These have been pretty much all I've been using since. Except for a needle point iron (EC4000) for very fine work or for anti-static considerations, I've retired the Wellers. These cheap irons are 60W heads and adjustable, although turning them all the way up is way too hot.

These never break. Never. Not the heaters nor the wire. I don't have to worry about changing the expensive heaters or therm sensors in the Wellers anymore, or have them go cold/hot during a job because the of another intermittent wire break. There are two cons to these. The first is that the tips are not the greatest, but they're good enough and you get 5 included. The second is that the iron is not regulated. This has never been a problem as the unit's ceramic heater gets the heat to the tip quite quickly. I also use a tiny schmear of neverseize at the tip collar where it contacts the barrel.

I bought these to keep strictly for emergency backup to the Wellers, but now I use them every day and bought another for my road kit.