Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller magnastat soldering iron problem

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 11:55:26 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Soldering iron cleaning sponges cost about nothing. I can go
to the kitchenware department & pick up a pack of 3 cellulose
sponges (packed damp to keep them soft until sold) for less
than a buck. They cut up into I forget but maybe 20 soldering
iron cleaning pads. The one trivial difference is the colours.

Thanks. I wasn't certain that the sponge was made from cellulose.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4118821
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7870990B2
I've tried that a few times, and the sponge usually just melted and
charred. I probably was using plastic sponges.

If I can find some melamine sponge, it should work without water:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8109430
Same with a brass or stainless scrubber.

A wet folded paper towel sorta works, but not very well.

If even that's too much, wet denim also makes a good iron cleaner.

Good idea. I'll give it a try. Anything to avoid paying $5 for a
TC205 sponge.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tc205+sponge

Do it thyself tip cleaner:
https://pcbsmoke.wordpress.com/2015/05/11/diy-soldering-iron-tip-cleaning-sponge/

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558