Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Two rsignals at same time, 88.1 where

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:50:24 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:12:49 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Very likely an out of sync repeater. It looks like they have 2 repeaters.
http://www.wypr.org/your-public-radio-fcc-public-file

You almost convinced me of this, but Jeff reminded me... and then what
he said convinced me you are right too.

Agreed, but WYPR only simulcasts with one station on 88.1MHz (WYPF):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYPR
The station broadcasts on 88.1 MHz on the FM band. Its
studio is in the Charles Village neighborhood of
northern Baltimore, while its transmitter is in
Park Heights.

It's about 1200 feet from TV Hill, where almost all the tv xmitters are.

The station is simulcast in the
Frederick and Hagerstown area on WYPF (88.1 FM) and

This doesn't yet solve the current question but it does answer another I
never posted.

WYPR's reception is strong in Baltimore and its suburbs, but west,
northwest, north of the suburbs, or all 3, the reception is weak and
it's actually easier to get the NPR station in DC, maybe 40 miles
farther south. I wrote to YPR about this one time but they
misunderstood my letter.

So a few weeks ago I was south of Hagerstown, which is 70 miles or so
west of Baltimore, and amazed to get WYPR. Now I realize I was getting
WYPF, only 20 miles away. I knew about that station but not that it
was on the same frequency. There are occasional announcements about all
the stations that play the same programming, but they don't include the
frequencies.

in the Ocean City area on WYPO (106.9 FM).

I've listened to that too when I'm in southern Delaware.

For a generic FM broadcast receiver, capture effect requires that one
signal is 2dB more than the other in order to get a 30dB of reduction
in "noise" from the weaker station. If the two signals are roughly
equal at the receiver, then you'll get no isolation and hear both
stations. Since KYPR and WYPF are both on 88.1 and fairly close to
each other, my guess(tm) is that their transmit frequencies are both
phase locked to some common reference,

Is that because if they weren't, one could be a half wave out of sync,
and where both could be received, one would cancel out the other?

But the syncing failed for 10 minutes? And it was working other times
I was in on that same road.

It turns out I was only 27.6 miles from the WYPF transmitter:
?hl=en

And it's 25.2 miles from the YPR xmitter. Part of the time, since I was
moving, the distances were even closer.

and that their audio feeds are
adjusted for identical delays. In other words, they're setup for
simulcast. However, that's a guess(tm) because I'm in a rush and
don't have time to read exactly what they're doing.

Any other ideas since you're back.