Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:33:30 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

====snip====

Strange - it only seems a very short while ago that we were rolling out
our initial 600bps broadband product in competition with 56kbs dial-up!

Typo? ITYM 600Kbps broadband service. :-)

I *well* remember the time when NTL used the 'harmonisation' of the
128Kbps service to 150Kbps (quarter the speed of the 600Kbps which had
formerly been 512Kbps) to squeeze a disproportionate (exhorbitant!) 3
quid increase over the 15 quid a month I'd formerly been paying.

To be fair, it was only a 2.4% increase on a cost per Kbps speed basis
but as far as I was concerned, they could stick their poxy 22Kbps speed
"upgrade" where the sun don't shine and let me keep that 3 quid in my own
pocket. Mind you, during the past 15 years or so, that same basic 150Kbps
service has now morphed via several free speed upgrades into an 85Mbps
service (only a paltry 5Mbps upload speed though) for just under 35 quid
a month.

It has to be said that a price increase over a 15 year period that must
be less than inflation for a 64 fold speed increase is a pretty good deal
compared to the more typical customer experience of "Service Industries"
in general.

--
Johnny B Good