Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

In article ,
lid says...

On 31/07/2018 13:47, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Thus the signals fed to any subscriber on the network will
conform to tightly defined limits which ensure that all
subscribers receive the same level of service.

That is something that BT's copper network cannot do.

Virgin can't either.
Although they have tight control over the signal levels there is the
slight problem of contention. They only have a limited bandwidth
available and its shared with all the subs on a segment.
So you may get 330 Mb/s some of the time you may not get it if there are
a few heavy users on your segment.

This is why virgin were traffic shaping to reduce the throughput of
heavy users and leave some for others.

Apart from re-segmenting the network so that fewer and fewer
subscribers are on any individual segment, improments in
DOCSIS enable a number of downstream signal (equivalent to DTV
muxes) to be bonded together, thus they can continually offer
higher and higher speeds as the technology improves.

I originally worked on commisioning a nrew network based on
600 home nodes, whereas 2,400 home nodes was the norm in the
cable environment. This made resegmentation much easier to
perform in the headend. I would imagine that, where demand
exists, some of those older 2,400 home nodes have been split
at street level to provide more flexibility.

However, it is 11 years since I retired and it is a rapidly
developing situation, so I have no idea exactly what goes on
these days although I'm familiar with the basic principles.

Strange - it only seems a very short while ago that we were
rolling out our initial 600bps broadband product in
competition with 56kbs dial-up!

--

Terry

---