Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Two rsignals at same time, 88.1 where

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 07:12:49 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Very likely an out of sync repeater. It looks like they have 2 repeaters.
http://www.wypr.org/your-public-radio-fcc-public-file

Agreed, but WYPR only simulcasts with one station on 88.1MHz (WYPF):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYPR
The station broadcasts on 88.1 MHz on the FM band. Its
studio is in the Charles Village neighborhood of
northern Baltimore, while its transmitter is in
Park Heights. The station is simulcast in the
Frederick and Hagerstown area on WYPF (88.1 FM) and
in the Ocean City area on WYPO (106.9 FM).

For a generic FM broadcast receiver, capture effect requires that one
signal is 2dB more than the other in order to get a 30dB of reduction
in "noise" from the weaker station. If the two signals are roughly
equal at the receiver, then you'll get no isolation and hear both
stations. Since KYPR and WYPF are both on 88.1 and fairly close to
each other, my guess(tm) is that their transmit frequencies are both
phase locked to some common reference, and that their audio feeds are
adjusted for identical delays. In other words, they're setup for
simulcast. However, that's a guess(tm) because I'm in a rush and
don't have time to read exactly what they're doing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D