Posted to alt.home.repair
Single Phase Single Phase is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On 7/30/2018 12:56 PM, tarder_4 wrote:
If it's 180 phase difference, then what? Is that still two phases?

Just to be clear, this argument started after someone referred to single phase service as 2-phase service.Â* If you call the power company and ask to have 180° 2-phase electric service installed, they'll tell you they only offer single and three
phase...though there might be some 90° 2-phase installations still in operation. Furthermore, if you connect a dual trace scope up a certain way, it will look like you have two phases.Â* While that's a nice parlor trick that might make a slow student
scratch their head, the truth is that there is only one phase on the transformer secondary.

But I do have one question, I understand the advantage of 120° 3-phase and 90° 2-phase for starting motors but what is the advantage of your 180° 2-phase over standard single phase 120/240 service?