American Mechanical

Default Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Maybe you are thinking of furnaces out in the garage, but
ours is in the center of the house it an enclosure, hate to
call it a closet. No way is it quiet, or would be quiet
regardless of type.
Hell, I can hear the hum of the attic fan in certain parts
of the house.

I'm sorry - you are incorrect. If the ductwork is sized properly and
installed well you would be amazed. I changed out a unit today, it was in a
closet directly off the living room. When I started the unit up, the HO
argued with me that it wasn't on. He is extremely pleased with his new
variable speed. It sounds as if you need to determine why you have to wedge
cans against parts of your system to stop the noise. I'm guessing there are
install issues. Best of luck to you it's been fun but if you still insist
that higher efficiency units are likely to be louder than standard
efficiency units, we must agree to disagree.

- Robert

Music helps but I grew learning to read and
study when it was quiet so I'm likely to start listening to
the music instead of paying attention to what I am reading.
Nothing like reading 2-3 pages then suddenly realize you
were listening to the music and have no idea what the word
in book were.