Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default unusual threading die adjustment

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:35:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 16:46:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

This shows the machine but I didn't find a photo of the center
grinding attachment
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1691.pdf

Why are both guys on the Specs page cutting diagonals? They both
have
a hand on the X and Y axis handles. (Marketing never learns.)

I do that too. The design gives up some rigidity for versatility, like
a Shopsmith, and tends to develop a visible vibration pattern which
slight zig-zag motion breaks up. The manual suggests that 25
microinches is the best finish you can expect.

So you rest the other hand on the handle to stabilize it? Aren't the
gibs lockable?

I use it as a mill for hardened steel and to grind lathe bits to
precise angles for threading and gear cutting. It's no match for the
Brown & Sharpe suface grinder I learned on, but I couldn't have
carried one of them into my basement.

Like the rest of my 50's/60's machinery it's better for a small shop
making experimental and prototype one-offs than a high production
environment. I'm far too inefficient to be a job shop. I tend to
redesign the part as I make it.

That's often a good thing when you work for yourself, but not for
others.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French