Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Breadboard ends and router issues

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 16:00:02 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

I've lost all confidence in my PC 892 router and a 8901 fixed base
permanently attached to my tablesaw insert. The router slips down after
it's locked and in use. I've ruined 2 sets of bread board ends because of
this and the slots in the top had to be cut off.

The screw on the locking cam is adjusted as tight as it will go and still
allow router movement. There's no dust between the pinon and gear or
housing, I clean that out every time I insert a bit. I've adjusted the
router up to the correct height in an attempt to get rid of the
backlash/slippage. It's a fairly new router. I never had this issue with my
old router that I continually removed from the base to use as a handheld.
Maybe I'll go back to that one.

Any suggestions on what more I can do to stop the slip?
Or what other router & base I could get that wouldn't have this problem.
Now I don't want to use it again for for fear of it slipping again and
ruining the top and ends (again).

The big question is "why is it slipping". See if you can make it slip
on the benchtop where you can see what's moving and maybe figure out
why.

Porter Cable makes an accessory for that router for router table
use--Item 75301. Whether it will address this problem I have no idea
but it's about 30 bucks.on Amazon.

Beyond that, look into a proper router lift--JessEm has one for about
180 bucks or if you google "DIY Router Lift" you'll find some ideas of
how to cobble up your own.