Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:19:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 4:44:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:59:38 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 1:30:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 11:34:32 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 07/27/2018 04:40 PM, wrote:

[snip]

"Split Phase" is a type of motor, not an electrical distribution
method.

Can't accept a phrase applying to more than one thing? "Split phase" is
where two phases are made from one (in other words, one is split into
two). Whether it happens in a motor or in a transformer doesn't change
the appropriateness of the phrase.

[snip]
The problem with that is you did not create another phase.

Yes you did, by using a center tap you now have two voltage sources
that are 180 deg out of phase. You're getting hung up on how something
is created. Electrons in three wires don't care how they were created,
what the source was. AGain, if you took the old 90 deg two phase,
that had two phases you say. If I made it 179 would that be two
phases? 181? Then why not 180?

There is only one secondary winding and only one source.

You sure can't model what's going on over that service with only
one voltage source. Describe the simple circuit schematic, using
ideal voltage sources, that you'd use to model it. I can give you
mine, it's exactly the circuit diagram shown in the IEEE paper
describing the analysis of what we're talking about, which is two
ideal voltage sources. You
take one 120V ideal voltage source and connect it's negative side to
the positive side of another 120V ideal voltage source. Explain how
to model it with a just a single ideal voltage source.

It is only confused homeowners who have trouble understanding that.

The rest is gibberish

A center tapped transformer essentially creates two coils with one
end connected together.
Put two windings on the same shaft at the generator and feed it to the
house over three wires, shared neutral, with a 90 deg phase
difference between the two coils. Would there then be two phases entering
the homeowner;s house?

Yes or no?

Would there still be two phases there if I rotate one generator coil
so that it's 179 deg phase difference instead of 90?

Yes or no?

No

The windings are still in phase. If they were out of phase, like the
windings in a GFCI transformer the resulting line to line voltage
would be zero because they would buck each other.

As I am going to say for the last time, you look at a system from end
to end, not from halfway in between the ends.

As the Dos Equis guy says, "Stay dumb my friend".