Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default I Doubt All Contractors Are This Nice

On 7/28/2018 6:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 10:38:14 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/27/2018 7:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At roughly 6:30 SWMBO and I had just sat down for dinner when the doorbell
rang.

"Hi, my name is Dave and I'm working on the house next door."

"Yes, Chris had told me that he was going to have some work done. What's up?"

"Well, I got started a couple of days late and Chris wants to move in this
weekend, so would it be OK with you if I worked a little late tonight? I'm
really trying to get back on schedule but if the noise is going to keep you
up or bother your family, I'll stop."

So what did "a little late" turn into...2 AM? vbg

--

Actually, yes! Sort of.

I don't really know what time the construction noise stopped. With our
windows closed (AC) we didn't really hear too much anyway. We went to bed
around 11 and it was fine.

However, I got up to use the john at around 2AM and when I looked over
the lights were still on and at least two guys were in the house. No noise
that I heard, but they were still there.

They are still at it. They worked until at least 9 or 10 every day this
week and all day today. I was doing some work on my deck so we had dueling...

Having the initiative to try to push and "catch up" is probably even
more rare ime...

I've spent the last few days repairing the oak flooring in dining
room/hallway that folks had covered with carpet in the major remodel
almost 40(!) yr ago, now...I've packed up at about 9 PM, though, each
day altho there's still the farm chores to get to as well so it's an
inbetween task.

There was one large cut out area about 3x5 ft in the SW corner in front
of the door to the living room I've no idea what that was about--there's
nothing under there that I can tell and doesn't look as though the
subflooring was cut thru anyway...Dad had filled it in with oak flooring
before so just had to fix up a few strips that he had face-nailed with
8d commons and one strip where was an 1/8" gap I made a wide piece to
fill in...if you know it's there you can spot it, but it's far less
noticeable than the gap was before!

In SE corner there was a patch where HVAC contractor had cut in (as
always, _very_ crudely w/ Sawzall) for a floor vent that wasn't put in
as is in middle of final floor--I'm presuming perhaps that was done
before they decided to open up the whole east wall into the entryway
they created out of the old porch and was still against the existing
wall when was done. It was just patched in with a piece of ply and some
water putty to level...I managed to find some 1-1/2" oak flooring
remnants in town left in the warehouse (he was surprised to find
anything that narrow too, let me have the lot to get rid of it) but
while they worked to fill in the SW corner, apparently they switched
lots somewhere in the middle of the original because the east end is
13/16" thick instead of 3/4" and the groove/bead end up 1/16" low try
ing to patch in with the new stuff. So, I had to make some to fill in
that patch...turns out I didn't have a 1/4" bead cutter so I just
chamfered the square corners a little with block plane for short
run...worked out pretty well...

Now it's on to patch in the holes from the piping of the old original
steam radiators and then see what will take to refinish...unfortunately,
the drywall and painters took "carpet" to heart and spattered mud and
paint everywhere liberally. It was stained really, really dark
originally altho the wear areas are down to a reasonably nice
color...I'm hoping to be able to keep some of the appearance rather than
sand back to all bare wood...

I'm now on a mission to find the replacement dust corners that were on
the stairs; the nail holes and outlines are there; to my surprise I have
not found a bag full of them when they were removed to carpet the
stairs...dad saved most everything else.

I've found one style of replacements with the nail hole in the center;
these were nailed at each corner...any leads on alternatives to what
seems to be the ubiquitous version would be welcome.

I don't want to full carpet the stairs again; probably will put down
tread pads, though, on the steps...