Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Lathe (AC) motor questions

On 7/28/2018 3:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/28/2018 9:30 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/24/2018 12:13 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Bill, I have not looked at your motors, but one thing you absolutely
need is a TEFC motor, otherwise
the dust will ruin the motor.

Absolutely is a strong word. Most of my stationary tools are circa
1954, including my Rockwell lathe, do not have TEFC motors and have
been running for that many years. The motors now are inclosed in there
respective cabinets except for the contractors saw.

The contractors saw is the only one that ever had a problem. It got
packed with saw dust and needed pulled apart and cleaned or the
starter switch gets stuck. 30 years ago I put a nylon stocking over
the cooling vents to keep out large chunks and it's been running fine
with nary a glitch.

I might add that I'm pretty sure Rockwell sold these tools with the
motors, which always seemed odd to me. Didn't they have TEFC motors
back then?

Not saying you shouldn't use TEFC motors, but I "absolutely" know my
motors have been running for over 60 years w/o them, and no fires, no
nothing other than the TS issue 30 years ago.

To the OP, I've been running stepped pulley's on my lathe since
forever, as have millions of turners. Variable speed motor would be
nice, but not even close to necessary. Make sure your belt is loose
enough to make moving it around easy. As a bonus, the belt slips under
a jam.

I guess the question to answer here is do you actually use your
equipment enough to warrant having a TEFC motor.

The point I made is that "absolutely" need is a strong word. I doubt
Bill is going to earn his living on his lathe, turning 40+ hours a week.
The second point I made is if your motor is enclosed in a cabinet, like
mine is, dust is a non-issue for the hobbyist turner, and probably the
professional turner. The first 20 years my motors were fully exposed on
a standard open tool stands, not a cabinet. Same with the TS, BS, Jig
saw, and jointer. Jig saw, Drill Press and TS motors are still exposed.
Shaper, Dust collector and sander are TEFC. Never had any problems with
any of them other than the TS, cured with nylon stocking.

Length of owner ship means nothing for a non TEFC motor if you do not
use the tool every day or at least several days a week. It is highly
likely that if dust is getting into a motor over a 60 year period of
high use there are going to be issues.

Can't speak for the guy that owned my tools the first 20 years, but up
until recently, my tools saw regular use. Not commercial use where
tools run constantly 8-24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's a totally
different animal. None of my tools, motors (or user) are designed for
that. I doubt the OP plans on using his lathe in a commercial
environment either. Even single user commercial use your tools most
likely run very little over the course of a day, or even a project.

Any time dust or wood chips fall directly onto a motor a TEFC motor is
going to be the better choice if you expect it to hold up over time.

Better choice for sure, *absolutely* needed, not so much. Ergo the nylon
stocking over the vents on my contractors saw motor, which does get lots
of fine sawdust spewed directly over the vents. Before the nylon thing,
the TS motor would get packed with saw dust to the point the motor
switch would not engage and I'd have to rip it down and clean it up. My
other motors have never had an any issues.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com