Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internety thingummies, question.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 21:48:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

grr
Grrrr
GRRrrr

6 (six) Mbps here on a a good day.

But when they *eventually* get round to your neck of the woods, it'll
likely be 330Mbps FTTP

Looking at where general FTTP infrastruture has been installed around
here it's not likely to appear here. The places it has are small
groups (dozen or so) premesis all fairly close together ie less than
a handful of poles covers all of them. The premesis in this part of
the world are detached by a 1/4 mile or more...

It's not lack of fibre in the area, they installed a fibre cable down
to the villages cabinet for FTTC. They normally put in 96 core cable,
that cable passes under our forecourt 10' from the door. There
*might* be access into that cable at large chamber 200 m away.

Where there is the infrastructure I don't think I've seen an
installed "drop wire" from the fibre DPs at the top of the poles to a
premesis. That could mean a few things:

The infrastructure isn't capable of being lit. Highly unlikely, why
would Openreach spend money and not light and sell it? Yes, the money
could be Phase 2 (Or is it 3?) BDUK money but if so it would be
capable of being lit.

The combination of these three is more likely though:
The consumer cost (installation and/or rental) of the service is too
high.
Consumer ignorance and poor marketing by the few ISPs that do sell
it.
Lack of ISPs selling the service.

Of course if I wait until 2033:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44921764

I've been saying since the inception of BDUK and the use of FTTC that
they shouldn't be doing FTTC as it's not future proof enough. I used
to use the example of a family at home, with Mum watching Men &
Motors, Dad a soap and the kids surfing away on YouTube, all with 10
Mbps HD streams so 50 Mbps minimum required not the 24 Mbps mimimum
that qualifies a link as "superfast"...

These days with the emergence of 4k UHD/HDR as the broadcast TV
standard (new trucks/studios are UHD 4k if not 8k capable and IP
based). I'll revise that to 100 Mbps not being enough. The recent
trials of live streaming UHD needed a 40 Mbps link...

They are trying to fudge it with G.Fast *up to* 330Mbps but only if
you can throw a rock at the cabinet and hit it.

--
Cheers
Dave.