Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

On 28/07/2018 22:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , John
Rumm wrote:

Because the BT "fibre" he has been sold is not really fibre in the
true sense. They are using Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC), and then using
VDSL (a DSL varient designed for very high speed and short range) over
copper for the last few hundred metres...

Yes, and what is wrong with that? The fibre to the cab looks like fibre
and quacks like fibre, so what are you complaining about.

Its slow by comparison to FTTP (80/20 at best compared to 330/30 typical
for FTTP), and the reliability is limited by what in many cases will be
a very old copper installation.

(personally I would not complain about having FTTC, since it would be
better than the 1.5Mbps I get at the end of 6km of soggy string -
however its a bit deceptive to refer to it as fibre broadband)

--
Cheers,

John.