Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internety thingummies, question.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 13:57:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives
35Mbps or so.

grr

53.7 here.

Grrrr

79.5Mbs here,

GRRrrr

6 (six) Mbps here on a a good day.

I think BT recently offered me an 'upgrade' to a higher speed. For more
money, of course. But the last one I had which doubled the download
speed made zero difference (that I could see) in practice. Most things
seem to have 'the other end' as the bottleneck.

The "other end" may well be your ISP, nearly all have "traffic
shaping" clauses of one form or another in their T&C, along with AUPs
that enable them to throttle users that have the temerity to fill
their "unlimited" pipe for extended periods of time. One or two
public state they do their best NOT to be a bottle neck.

--
Cheers
Dave.