Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 11:34:32 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 07/27/2018 04:40 PM, wrote:

[snip]

"Split Phase" is a type of motor, not an electrical distribution
method.

Can't accept a phrase applying to more than one thing? "Split phase" is
where two phases are made from one (in other words, one is split into
two). Whether it happens in a motor or in a transformer doesn't change
the appropriateness of the phrase.

[snip]

The problem with that is you did not create another phase. If you walk
half way up a ramp, did you suddenly make two ramps. After all isn't
one going up and the other going down, from where you stand? That is
all center tapping a single phase transformer is doing.

The problem with using one term for two things is it confuses a
process where we try to make it simpler. Confusion can be dangerous
where electricity is concerned. We try to be precise when we speak.