Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 11:32:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 07:50:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:40:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 12:45:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 12:26:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I defined phase as in single, 2 or 3. You just chose to ignore it.

You gave a definition that is historical, not from an engineering
perspective and you didn't define anything more than 3. You would
think if it's so simple, someone could define it for N phases.
And then you refuse to answer the obvious questions
that even a student would ask a teacher. According to you, two
phase was 90 deg over four wires. OK, so, if it was over 3 wires, using
one shared neutral, would two phases still be present? Now I change
the phase to 179 degrees or 181 degrees, are there still two phases?
Yes? No?

Why then are there not two phases present when it;s 180? The answer
of course is that there still are two phases, it just becomes a less
interesting case.

You look at a system from end to end, not any small segment.
This is a single phase system.

Inability to answer the simple relevant questions a student would
ask a teacher noted.

I answered the question several times. I just told you what
electricians and inspectors call the service you have in your house.
If you can't understand that and need some other rationalizations to
explain what you have, go for it.
I don't care anymore.

No, you have not answered the simple specific questions.

You say that what was called two phase power 100 years ago when it
existed, was in fact two phases. You said it was over 4 wires.
I accept that. So, here are the simple questions a student might
ask a teacher:

If it were on 3 wires instead of 4, with a shared neutral, would there
still be two phases there?

If yes, then how about if I change the phase angle to 179 degrees or
181 degrees, would there still be two phases?

If yes, then why if I change it to 180, are there no longer two phases?

What did you think of my definition of N phase power?