Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Wiring question

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 13:25:01 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 27/07/2018 23:23, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/07/2018 20:54, wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Just crimp the silly things then.

Ah, but should I crimp them end to end or side by side?

Neither. Solder and protect with heat-shrink tube. Now are you going to
solder them in-line or sticking out?

Actually. If you are bypassing a socket, I'd go for two in one side of
choc-block minimising movement from the current setup and being easily
removed in the future if you want to re-instate the socket at any time.

That's ok if the socket position is having a blanking plate on it so its
still visible, and the screw terminals will remain accessible for
maintenance.

Which is the case here. Also accessible for inspection :-)

If you are filling in the socket recess, then the joint needs to be a
maintenance free joint (crimp, solder, wago etc). Also consider if
removing all trace of the socket, whether the cables are going to still
be in a permitted zone.

I think I would want a continuous cable run in that situation.