Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "I'm only doing what I was told" H

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 25/07/2018 18:43, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
On my local common today - grass kept short as it's mainly playing fields,
etc, and now as dry as I've ever seen it - was a contractor with a petrol
strimmer. Doing path borders. Creating the most amazing amount of dust.
Wonder what jobsworth sent him out?

it would be an agrred contract. "Strim path edges monthly."

Except that they tend to cut the grass in March when there is bugger
all to cut, then you don't see them for 2 months by whcih time it is
about 8 inches high, so when cut it smothers the grass and causes
moss.

So they buy a big fleet of mowers. They cut the grass in all
the parks in March and then put all the mowers away. Then 2 months
later they get them all out again.
In the meantime the drivers of these mowers or maybe its operatives
nowadays will have been sat the canteen playing cards. Or possibly
engaging with their mobile phones.

No wonder the Council Tax is so high.

It's an interesting one, since my council (Wandsworth) were at the
forefront of privatizing services. Refuse collection being one of the
first. When a new contractor is appointed, they usually make a decent job.
Things like having someone clear up after the main collection. But that
soon stops. Now they are piling up everything for collection at several
points some time before the truck arrives. So twice the opportunity for
spillage. Which is exactly what happens.

They've also had contractors laying new pavements. Actual working hours
seem to be 08.30 - 16.00. With at least 2 hours off for lunch. Just the
sort of thing the Express would rant on about if direct labour.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.