Michael Daly

Default Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

On 6-Jan-2004, "Art Begun" wrote:

I disagree. Latex paint on the siding will let the vapor breath.

Not if the siding is aluminum, steel, vinyl etc.

The cold air leaking in could cause condensation to form.

Cold air is usually relatively dry and enters the cold side of the
insulation - not much condensation. If there is condensation, having
open air flow on that side allows it to dry. I know of designs where
architects have specified an air gap at the top and bottom of the
cladding to ensure the insulation can breathe on the outside. Both
openings covered with fine mesh to keep out the mousies.

Mike