Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need to buy a new meter

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

On 7/25/2018 7:57 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
I need a new meter for my toolbox - I've done some looking and I

haven't yet found something that fits everything on my wish list and
I'm wondering whether you guys have any suggestions. Here's some of
what I'm looking for (in no particular order):

PHYSICALLY RUGGED
TRUE RMS
SELECTABLE LOW IMPEDANCE (hides "ghost" voltages)
CLAMP FOR CURRENT
LEADS FOR CURRENT (all the clamp meters I've seen lack regular

current measuring capabilities. This is a problem when servicing
4-20 ma circuits and the like.
FREQUENCY MEASUREMENT for VFDs

All that and just a generally good meter for field service.

Thanks.

My favorite general purpose meter was a Radio Shack with a serial
port for logging data samples over time. It worked exceptionally
well at proving inconsistent power supply issues from the mains. It
wasn't bad for general trouble shooting either. It didn't do
everything you want, but I'm not sure I ever had a meter that did.
The most sensitive meter I ever used was an analog Triplets I was
issued when I worked for Arizona telephone. Once I got a feel for
it I could guess distance to fault almost as accurately as the call
box in the central office. That is on an 18 mile span it would get
me within a mile on the first guess usually. Then split the line
and go from there.

I don't think I have a good meter anymore. Just a bunch of cheap
ones all over the shop and one in each of my vehicles. I have a
separate Amprobe I use for clip on applications.

The old RS 22-805 has a rare 20A (for 30 Sec) current range and the
interface data format is numerical instead of the active LCD segment
like later models, although that isn't hard to hash back to digits.

The relative Ohms function of my UT61E can distinguish between equal
lengths of 12AWG and 14AWG wire. When I added panels to my solar
system I measured the gauge of sections of old wiring by shorting the
far end, forcing 10A and recording the voltage drop. Then I tried the
UT61E and got substantially the same results, often to 0.01 Ohm.

The designer's intent was better than his implementation, notably in
the excessive burden voltage on the current ranges. I think the Peak
function measures motor inrush correctly with a clamp-on probe but
it's hard (and dangerous) to independently confirm with high current
shunts and resistors.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/8642

-jsw