Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default RTA What would you do?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
F explained :
Foot on the brake is surely the right answer? Foot off and you're going
to get an even more sore neck from the uncontrolled acceleration of your
car. Foot on and the friction between the tyres and road is going to
reduce it.

Plus, your brake lights will be on, giving the following vehicle a bit
more warning.

Many years ago, driving a Transit truck, the vehicles ahead came to a
stop, so I stopped at the back with the handbrake (rear wheels) on no
footbrake around 5 foot from a BT van. Steaming in the back came a brand
new car with a low sloping front. It was obvious looking in my mirror,
they driver wasn't paying much attention, maybe distracted by the new cars
'toys'. He seemed not to notice I had stopped until the last second, I
heard the squeal of his brakes, then the back end of the truck lifted as
he went under it. He pushed me into the BT van. He likely would not have
been able to do that, had I not been lifted off the road and pushed that
last few feet.

I now always habitually keep the foot brake on, until at least one vehicle
has stopped behind me.

Didn't work for me the only time I have been rear ended.

I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing, with my foot on
the foot brake. I could see the taxi coming up behind me
had the driver gawking at some bimbo in a microskirt, this
was in the 60s. Didn't do the VW Beetle any good at all.