Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RTA What would you do?

F explained :
Foot on the brake is surely the right answer? Foot off and you're going to
get an even more sore neck from the uncontrolled acceleration of your car.
Foot on and the friction between the tyres and road is going to reduce it.

Plus, your brake lights will be on, giving the following vehicle a bit
more warning.

Many years ago, driving a Transit truck, the vehicles ahead came to a
stop, so I stopped at the back with the handbrake (rear wheels) on no
footbrake around 5 foot from a BT van. Steaming in the back came a
brand new car with a low sloping front. It was obvious looking in my
mirror, they driver wasn't paying much attention, maybe distracted by
the new cars 'toys'. He seemed not to notice I had stopped until the
last second, I heard the squeal of his brakes, then the back end of the
truck lifted as he went under it. He pushed me into the BT van. He
likely would not have been able to do that, had I not been lifted off
the road and pushed that last few feet.

I now always habitually keep the foot brake on, until at least one
vehicle has stopped behind me.