Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default RTA What would you do?

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 26/07/2018 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
You know that you are going to get arse ended.

Do you keep your foot on the brakes so that you don't get pushed into
the car in front or do keep your foot off the brake and have two bumps
but of less severity?

--
Adam

Interesting question. I was going to say that letting your vehicle
roll and be accelerated by the colliding vehicle would probably
reduce damage, but I suspect only minimally.

Perhaps more importantly is the acceleration you undergo inside
the vehicle. I think keeping your foot planted on the brakes
*might* reduce this, at the cost of more damage.

In practice I'm not sure how much tyre friction on the road with
locked wheel would alter impact forces.

I guess someone must have done the research?

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2010-01-0067/

That didnt test deliberately not braking.