Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need to buy a new meter

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:57:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I need a new meter for my toolbox - I've done some looking and I
haven't yet found something that fits everything on my wish list
and
I'm wondering whether you guys have any suggestions. Here's some of
what I'm looking for (in no particular order):

PHYSICALLY RUGGED
TRUE RMS
SELECTABLE LOW IMPEDANCE (hides "ghost" voltages)
CLAMP FOR CURRENT
LEADS FOR CURRENT (all the clamp meters I've seen lack regular
current measuring capabilities. This is a problem when servicing
4-20 ma circuits and the like.
FREQUENCY MEASUREMENT for VFDs

All that and just a generally good meter for field service.

Thanks.

No meter I own fills all those requirements.

What? Not even the HF freebie? Oh, no clamp.

I have perhaps a dozen HFs and 6 good DVMs with computer interfaces
for datalogging, a UT210E AC/DC clamp-on that resolves to 1mA, 4
Flukes and a Keithley, plus AC and AC/DC external clamp probes. No
single one of them meets all those requirements, especially clamp +
leads, although combinations do. I also have a good collection of
analog multimeters and clamp-ons that can be left in place long-term,
so that for instance I don't move the fridge plug from the wall outlet
to the backup source while it's running.

To extend the list I have a 1GSa HP storage scope, an HP RF spectrum
analyzer and the tracking generator that makes it a scalar network
analyzer, plus power supplies, signal generators, counters, cap meters
etc. I was one of the people who built proof-of-concept models for
space projects at home.

I did industrial field service in the 1970's and appreciate the
demands, but since then I've been in a lab and don't have to carry
everything I need like a primitive nomad or a soldier.
-jsw