Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Will she ever learn?

In message , at
09:18:46 on Thu, 26 Jul 2018, michael adams
remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
08:42:01 on Wed, 25
Jul 2018, michael adams remarked:

There will be no more general grants from the government for
day-to-day running of services from 2018 - earlier than TfL thought.

There will nevertheless continue to be a substantial subsidy from
London Council Tax
payers.

Just so as I can be clear as what you mean by "subsidy" there.

Let's say A subsidises B in respect of C, if, and only if D

Could you possibly fill in the blanks ?

I only say that, because quite obviously Council Tax Payers
and beneficiaries of any TFL subsidies, whether real or
potential beneficiaries, are not only, not mutually exclusive,
but apart from the bedridden who can't travel, and infants,
children and young people who don't pay Council Tax, would appear to
be exactly the same people.

Or am I missing something ?

All council tax payers subsidise the fares of the subset who choose to
use TfL. As it happens, the last time I was a London Resident (for a
period of about 3yrs) I don't recall ever using a bus, there were no
tube lines where I lived, so only used them on occasional trips to WC1,
and Overground was just a gleam in someone's eye (and even today nowhere
near where I was living then).

I got by on a mixture of walking for very local things like taking the
children to school, maybe once a week a National Rail train to Waterloo,
and everything else by driving.

But I did recognise that my ability to drive was significantly enhanced
by the number of others who had been incentivised to use buses and
(national- rather than local-taxpayer) subsidised mainline trains.

--
Roland Perry