Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The Kitchen Bookcases - Finally Done

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 7:49:55 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/24/2018 12:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of the window...I'm glad I measured the both sides of the wall
before I started building. That window is not centered. The left side unit
is about 1.5" narrower than the right. That gave me a matching gap between the
window sill and the walls on both sides.

That is a good tip. I was starting a major kitchen remodel on my old
house. The window was a double hung with a row of glass block on either
side. I was putting in a new smaller window. After taking out the old,
I would have centered it and bricked up the sides. Fortunately, my
step-father knew to measure and center it to the room. It was off by an
inch+ and would have played hell with wall cabinets.

I guess I could have centered the window first, which would have made
building the bookcase units a little easier. ;-)

I once helped a buddy move an interior door about 6". There was a door between
the back porch and his kitchen, real close to the corner of the room. At a
right angle to that doorway was the exterior door for the porch. When you
opened the porch door, it blocked about 6" of the kitchen doorway. It looked
bad and it was really inconvenient.

One night his wife was carrying grocery bags in through the narrowed doorway
and banged her arm. "Dammit. I hate that door!" My buddy didn't say a word.
He just went out into the garage, grabbed a sledge hammer, walked back into
the kitchen, and smashed a hole in the wall. As he was walking out he said
"I'll fix it this weekend".

By the end of the weekend we had moved the door and he was ready to paint.