Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Hosepipe bans...

On 25/07/2018 20:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"NY" writes:
wrote in message
On 25/07/2018 09:31, Jim K wrote:
Do hosepipe bans apply to private water supplies?

No, which is why I've just reactivated an old well and am digging-in 150m
of MDPE. Next job is to fit a pressure switch to control the pump
automagically.

So you are allowed to use a hosepipe to siphon bathwater out of the bath
onto plants or lawn, or to take rainwater from a water butt to water plants?
I presumed that this was allowed, but I wouldn't have been surprised to find
that the laws weren't applied with any common sense. I wonder how the
enforcers distinguish between private and public when all they get is a
report from a neighbour who has only seen the spraying end of the hosepipe
and not where it is connected.

Water butt with rainwater is fine.

Can't use a hose for water delivered via the water main, even if it's
been used for bath/washing/etc. You can use a watering can, providing
you don't fill it using a hose.

I heard you can fill it with a very short hose, if the tap is rather
high or in an awkward position.

--
Max Demian