Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default Why do these GFCI receptacles trip?

No one expects a normal extension cord or appliance built with the correct spacings and dielectric materials to arc. Arcs typically occur at fatigued wires, wires under mechanical tension, screws on outlets and switches, and similar connections, sometimes in a lamp socket or poorly wired junction, wire nut, set screw, push in terminal (JUST DON'T USE THOSE).

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 4:27:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yeah, all that is about to arc out. Who knows, I might decide to shoot up the place. Oh wait, I am not on any psychotropic drugs, nor need them.

You know, those damn internal connections from the power cord are only like an inch or two apart, and you know how 120 volts can all the sudden arc across that.

Oh wait. It doesn't.

And of course the wet bar, oh wait, no wet bar. I guess I will have to put one in. It's nearly 10 feet to the kitchen. And aa small fridge, well those are always arcing over. Right ? Didn't that kill like thousands of people every year ?