Posted to alt.home.repair
The Fixer[_3_] The Fixer[_3_] is offline

Default Recharging a Dead Dehumidifier

replying to Frankiefa, The Fixer wrote:
Sounds like it's not cycling. I don't think icing up is a symptom of low
refrigerant but rather the condenser continually cooling, drawing out the
ambient moisture in the area where the dehumidifier is placed and not cycling
to allow the coils to warm up and drop all that collected water in the pan.
Do you hear the compressor cycling?

One way, I think, to test this theory is to connect the dehumidifier to a
timer and set it (at first) to run for 1 hour one and ½ hour off and see what
happens. If that makes the unit appear to work normally, i.e. it doesn't ice
up and it collects water, then you've got to dig in and figure out what is
causing it to NOT cycle. OTOH, if you don't need that timer, you have just
cured the problem, albeit with a jerry-rigged solution

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ier-61438-.htm