Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default unusual threading die adjustment

On 24/07/18 02:39, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington" wrote in message
news
On 23/07/18 19:41, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I thought dies were split so they could be tightened back to size
after grinding inside the holes to resharpening them. I resharpen
old
taps by running a cylindrical stone in the flutes.

Most of my taps are small enough that if blunted for some reason
it's easier to replace but I'll bear in mind the sharpening for some
larger ones that are losing their edge from cutting threads in some
poor quality steel.

The small taps I used for electronics are new and high quality. The
1/2" ones that I bought for repairs and home projects like my sawmill

came from a second hand store and were often dull from production use.
The largest is 2" NPT for which I paid less than 10% of its retail
price. I have a surface grinder with a cylindrical/tapered tool
grinding attachment and make sure the used taps I buy have center
holes in the ends.

The tool grinding attachment sounds like another thing I'll have to make
when I get my surface grinder up and running soon, any images of yours
or similar available?