Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
NY NY is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , NY
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
If the alternator is capable of starting the car why don't they just
remove the starter motor and save the cost and weight?

Which is what our Auris hybrid does.

Ah I didn't realise the Auris uses the alternator to start the car from
cold. I presume if the fan belt breaks you are utterly buggered because
you can't restart the engine (if it's stopped) to be able to drive (with
the engine using on battery rather than alternator power for its spark) to
a safe place to wait for Mr RAC or Ms AA to tow you to a garage.

It doesn't have a traditional alternator.

You could look here for more details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

according to which:

The HSD system replaces the geared transmission, alternator, and
starter motor with:

€¢ MG1, an AC motor-generator having a permanent magnet rotor,
used as a motor when starting the ICE and as a generator (alternator)
when charging the high voltage battery

€¢ MG2, an AC motor-generator, also having a permanent magnet
rotor, used as the primary drive motor and as a generator (alternator),
which regeneration power is directed to the high voltage battery

Ah so the "alternator" and "starter motor" functions are combined with the
motor for actually driving the car. So there's a mechanical connection
between it and the engine (as for a conventional starter motor) so no need
for belt drive. I can't work out from the Wikipedia article: is it
effectively built into the flywheel?

My parents have a hybrid Auris and they are very pleased with it. I noticed
that like a lot of cars with CVT (*), the engine runs *very* fast (a lot
faster than the most efficient speed of 1500 to 2000 rpm that the article
mentions) and for a lot longer than a driver of a manual car would choose to
do, or a conventional auto would except in kickdown mode, before "changing
up". I suppose it knows what it's doing...

(*) The old Dafs and the Volvo 343.