Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what shouldyou do?

wrote:

NY wrote:

Our Honda has stop-start which can be turned off if you want.

This can be disabled temporarily, and I gather VCDS can reverse the
switch so it defaults to off and you can enable it when required.

I hadn't realised it doesn't always use the starter motor to
restart - maybe that's model-dependant, because it sounds exactly
the same noise as when the car is started on the key.

If the alternator is capable of starting the car why don't they just remove
the starter motor and save the cost and weight?

Because the oil viscosity when cold means the alternator couldn't
(always) manage it. The alternator does start it very quickly when it's
warm.

It does "light hybrid" jiggery-pokery, which I assume amounts to not
recharging the battery immediately after a start, but recuperating the
energy later when coasting or braking. I don't think it ever uses the
alternator to provide drive to the wheels.